The Fourth Wave: Digital Health Newsletter — Jan 23, 2019 — No. 119
JOIN THE 65,000+ MEMBER DIGITAL HEALTH GROUP ON LINKEDIN!
If you’re on LinkedIn, please do join the Digital Health group, which I founded in 2009. The group serves to advance knowledge and build relationships between people interested in the convergence of the digital and genomic revolutions with health, healthcare, living, and society.
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
Follow me on Twitter @Paul_Sonnier for all the news I share each day.
I’m available to deliver my keynote address at conferences and corporate events. I also offer event and entity advertising in my 65,000+ member Digital Health LinkedIn group, newsletter, and on my website. Advertising with me puts your event, content, product, and/or service in front of tens of thousands of global readers each week. I’m also available for strategic consulting. Contact me for my media kit, standard plans, and pricing.
GLOBAL EVENT LIST
This is a crowdsourced list of global conferences and events focused on or relevant to digital health.
NONE AT THIS TIME
Please contact me for options on event promotion, including having your event featured at the top of this list, featured in my weekly Digital Health group announcements, newsletter, and on Twitter.
SUBMITTING AN EVENT
Please provide the event name, date(s), event website link (direct and not a shortened url), one-paragraph event description, the venue name, and location (city and country). Not all events are relevant to digital health and webinars are typically not allowed, but you can ask me about promotion options.
—————————————- BEGIN NEWSLETTER —————————————-
In order to continue my work in digital health I’m seeking a direct role with a company or organization. I’m also open to consulting work and paid speaking opportunities at conferences and corporate events. Please contact me if you see a fit for what I offer in digital health or my prior experience in other industries, as enumerated on my LinkedIn profile. I prefer to stay in San Diego / Southern California and am happy to work remote and travel as required.
THE BATTLE FOR PERSONAL DATA PRIVACY
A new parasitic device called ‘ Alias’ attempts to prevent Amazon Alexa and Google Home AI assistants from “accidentally” snooping on you and your family. It works by continuously feeding noise into the always-on microphones located in these devices. When Alias hears you say its own wake command—which is defined by you, not the company—it stops blocking the host’s microphones.
- In an op-ed published in TIME, Apple CEO Tim Cook takes aim at non-Apple big tech companies in saying that “Consumers shouldn’t have to tolerate another year of companies irresponsibly amassing huge user profiles, data breaches that seem out of control, and the vanishing ability to control our own digital lives. This problem is solvable—it isn’t too big, too challenging or too late.” He adds that he is calling on the U.S. Congress to pass comprehensive federal privacy legislation via reforms that protect and empower the consumer. His four principles, which he feels should guide this legislation, are:
- The right to have personal data minimized. Companies should challenge themselves to strip identifying information from customer data or avoid collecting it in the first place.
- The right to knowledge—to know what data is being collected and why.
- The right to access. Companies should make it easy for you to access, correct and delete your personal data.
- The right to data security, without which trust is impossible.
LIVING & SOCIETY
If this were used in the US there would be notification fatigue within 5 mins in any crowded public space… China Starts “Debt Shaming – New App Warns Users If They Are Walking Near Someone In Debt
Do You Take This Robot – Today we fall in love through our phones. Maybe your phone itself could be just as satisfying?
Digital health news of the ridiculous sort… Scroll through your Facebook feed while you eat. Meet Sphoon 🍴
Digital Ritalin – New brain training game as effective as ‘chemical cosh’ drugs at improving focus Verily Study Watch Receives FDA 510(k) Clearance for ECG
FUNDING & M&A
Twins get some ‘mystifying’ results when they put 5 DNA ancestry kits to the test – Chief geneticist at a popular ancestry company admits it’s ‘kind of a science and an art’
HEALTH & FITNESS
—————————————- END NEWSLETTER —————————————-
Copyright © 2019 Paul Sonnier, Story of Digital Health
Advisor ⋅ Author ⋅ Speaker ⋅ Technologist ⋅ Social Entrepreneur
Book: The Fourth Wave: Digital Health
Founder, Digital Health group on LinkedIn
Creator, Story of Digital Health
San Diego, CA, USA